Sunday, February 15, 2009

Oh, twelve

Between childhood, and adulthood there is this phase. This phase that they talk about in all the puberty books. In one of Alex's books it says:

Does this ever happen to you?

One minute you may feel like a kid who wants to play and the next minute you feel more grown up, wanting more freedom and independence.

Knowing that it was coming, but not really being able to see what that meant for my boy, I watch with wonder from the sidelines, marveling at the phase he is in and realizing that conversations that seem completely odd, are actually completely normal.

We had one of those conversations today while eating lunch. It started out pretty good: "When we go on vacation at the end of the summer......."

And quickly it took a turn for the strange and pubescent as Alex pipes up with:
"You are going on vacation? Where will we be? Will I be here without you? I could have a party. A party with my friends." Then it gets really weird and I was trying to contain my laughter: "I would make huge cake, and a big batch of oatmeal, and Skyler and Brad and I would all hang out and watch tons of movies."

And Cyan pipes up with "Well you would have to have balloons!"

"Well I guess I could have one of my friends pick up balloons."

...and they go on, to talk about Alex's secret party, at the same table with both parents that it is supposed to be secret from.

And I decided right then and there that my son is never going to see movies like Risky Business, or Weird Science.

Please... keep making oatmeal for your friends and watch too many movies.

The funniest part about this whole thing is that we are not going on vacation without them. They are totally coming with us. LOL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi

My daughter is getting a bit like that, she is only 10, but very mature for her age!

Hope you have a good week.

Blessings.
Lou x