Sunday, April 11, 2010

Farm School


On Friday we had the opportunity to go to Farm School with our homeschool group. It was a wonderfully informative class, if a bit rushed. I was amazed at just how many products are produced in Washington state. It is, by far, one of the easiest states to live locally.
While we were there we were instructed on the proper raising of dairy cows, the milking of the cows, and milk products. One thing I learned is that it takes 45 gallons of water to drink per day to make 8 gallons of milk. WOW! That is a lot. I do remember when I was nursing, trying to get 90 oz of water in my system per day (esp when I was running a lot and nursing at the same time). I can just imagine that is about how those cows have to do it. Only on a huge scale, cuz I was surely not making 8 gallons per day of milk!


The kids sat with rapt attention while our instructor made cottage cheese strait from buttermilk, milk, and lemon juice. It was pretty amazing! We were not allowed to taste it (due to regulations) but it smelled just like warm cottage cheese. I think we are going to try it in school this week.


Afterwards, we got to go into the barn and visit the other farm animals. There were ducks, geese, turkeys, chickens, goats and sheep. We got to pet the goats and chick, and also a sweet angora bunny that was snuggled in it's pen, waiting to be petted.
What a fun day!


signature

No comments: