Monday, May 5, 2008

Inner City Nature Tour part 1 - Watershed Park

My friend, Sarah, and I have been talking about our inner city parks for weeks. She has a beautiful protected area in the center of her city, and so do I... so this week, we decided to do an inner city nature tour with the kids. First at my city, then to hers on Wed. We got some phonics done this morning (phonograms are fun!), read a dog ediquette book, checked on the garden and then got ready for our hike.

This is the first of a two part innercity nature tour. Our first stop was Watershed Park. It was the perfect day for a hike... not too hot, and the sky was stunning!

All of the wild flowers were in full bloom:

Kids running down the path:

Kids exploring:

I am sure there were a hundred varieties of animal life all over the place there... it was a lush and beautifully protected place... but we had two toddlers with us. So we saw none but birds that were far overhead. By the end though, we got some peace:

It was a sweet day, and I love hiking with my kids. They see amazing and magical world in the holes of fallen logs, muddy puddles, or the bent mossy branches of a tree. Going to a place with a child for the first time is like looking with new eyes. I can't wait for the second part of our tour!

No comments: