Saturday, August 20, 2011

Letter Cc - day 2 and what happens when drop a huge jar of buttons

_MG_1935

My sweet boy wanted to help set up todays lesson, so I asked him to get me the jar of buttons… off the shelf above the dryer.  Yeah.  Not the best idea ever.  The warranty on our washer and dryer runs out in 5 years.  We may very well still have buttons under there when the things die.  lol!

IMG_1915_MG_1931

Box #1 was a set of matching cards from here.  Hungry Caterpillar of course!

IMG_1916

Box #2 was his worksheets for today.  He had quite a few.  It also had the Lakeshore Learning letter Tub in it. 

_MG_1940

One of his worksheets was super fun!  The little caterpillars have numbers by their heads and you are supposed to make the caterpillars out of something… like buttons!  Once we got the buttons cleaned up this activity was the best of the day.  :)

_MG_1941_MG_1942

There were a couple more activities based on the same ‘number value’ concept.  He is actually getting his numbers down really quickly!

IMG_1917

Box #3 was the Leapfrog Fridge Letter set again.

IMG_1918_MG_1947

Box #4 was a rice pouring activity.  After his fun with this yesterday I decided to fill the pitcher with rice and see how he did.  At first he moved really fast and spilled the rice.  I showed him how to clean it up and his movements became more fluid, less jerky and fast, right before my eyes.  That is exactly what Montessori intended when adding these things to the classroom but it still puts me in awe every time I see it work.

IMG_1919

Box #5: Another Montessori idea.  Sandpaper letters.  I just have him run his finger along these textured letters in the same way he would write them.  It’s reinforces tacitly the directions and form for writing the letters.

IMG_1920

Box #6 was a sequencing activity based on the Very Hungry Caterpillar from here.  After we had it all set up I had HIM tell me the story.  He loved that!  I almost wish I had it on video it was so darned cute!

IMG_1921_MG_1950

Box $7:  Another sequencing activity.

IMG_1922

Box #8: a few coloring bits from his ABC Notebook Lapbook Pages.

IMG_1923_MG_1953

Box #9: a cutting activity from LOTW.  (He LOVES these BTW.)

IMG_1924

Box #10: Day 1 on StarFall!!  All my children have used StarFall when they start reading.  It’s fun and free and they really enjoy the idea of being able to play a ‘video game’ while doing school.

3 comments:

Christi said...

Wondering where the worksheets in box 2 came from, specifically the one with the caterpillar bodies.

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Cristi, It was from a 'very hungry caterpillar' worksheet page and I remember that it was a PDF file that I had to print what I wanted from Google Docs. That's all I remembered though. So when I went to post this I spent quite a while looking for the link, and eventually gave up. I'm sorry!

If I do end up finding it again (is there a way to search your internet history with key words? That would be awesome!) then I'll be sure to post it for you either here or Pinterest. :)

Blessings,

Val

Val in the Rose Garden said...

I FOUND IT! :)

http://stayandplaymama.blogspot.com/2010/06/very-hungry-caterpillar.html