Saturday, March 29, 2008

Amazing Alex

Alex is at a very trying age... The pert age (from 10 - 15 or there abouts) "is characterized by contradicting, answering back, liking to 'catch people out' (especially ones elders); and by the propounding of conundrums. It's nuisance value is extremely high." ~ Dorothy Sayers

It's nuisance value is extremely high... boy, that could be my life story in a sentence at the moment. Through the choice to keep Alex home next year, I have had to already build up my patience levels to 'abnormally high'. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't. But already, our relationship is shifting. I am talking to him about things that I normally would not bother... when the "adult" he is sassing back to is somebody else, it is easier to not comment. When the adults he is sassing back to is ME... 'Well... buddy. Let's talk.'

For all that, he is an AMAZING kid. Very smart, the most kind and nurturing person I have ever met, and if I can keep him from the guilt issues I have, he will be really successful in life. School, unfortunately, has started to give him some of those complexes I have such a hard time with as an adult. He feels guilty when he doesn't get something done (even if it is really too much for him to do), the only time he is happy and can relax is if he has "everything" done. I often make him lists of the things he needs to do because he is a bit distract-able (I haven't met an 11 year old boy who isn't) and can't follow a task to completion without going on to something else in the middle. The school would like to say "ADD", but I would love to shout back "NORMAL BOY!"

Lately, he has been very creative. I don't know if it is because we have been having lots of discussions with and around him about staying home next year, or if he is just coming into his own creativity and finally making things that he approves of (another issue we share), but some of the things he comes up with are truly stunning.

This is a poem he made up, written with a quill he and I made, with ink he and his grandma made out of steal wool and vinegar. I think that is pretty impressive! I can't wait to see what the next year will bring. I think it will be wonderful for the most part. But after all "It's nuisance value is extremely high... "

Here's hoping.

No comments: