Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More Creative Math (ie: Anyone used Fred?)

Life of Fred

I am thinking this may be our 6th/7th grade math next year.  Any one tried it?  Love it?  Hate it?  I need some opinions.  THANKS!

This was a fun puzzle I made.  In Singapore Math they have a puzzle like this... and Cyan did so well at it, that I thought I would make her some more to solidify her skills.  She thinks they're great!

A turning point for math with her was last week.  She was sent to clean her room and came out with a pile of books.  Annoyed that she had been reading books instead of cleaning, I took the books from her.  She said "Don't mess them up!  I put them in order."  And when I looked at the books, there were all the Magic Tree House books, 17 volumes, books #1 - #32... all placed in numeric order.  So I helped her with her bookshelf, and we had a great time talking about 'order'.  So today, I introduced Alphabetical Order... and she got it nearly right away.  Up to 5 words at a time, and up to three letters into the word (although she was really confused when some words only had two letters and she had to go off that.  I had to mark on her paper where the "no letter here" spot was (before A).) 

All in all, it has been a great homeschool day.  Both little are sleeping now, and I am going to get some much needed down time (off the computer) before I run errands tonight.  (I get to take a meal to a family with a new baby.  You know what that means?  I get to snuggle a new baby!)

Have a great day blogfriends!

No comments: